Painting over acrylic nails is a hot button question among people who enjoy having acrylic nails. When you have acrylic nails on, they are semi-permanent and can last for weeks with proper care and maintenance. However, many people wonder if it is safe to paint over acrylic nails, and if doing so will cause any damage or affect the longevity of the acrylics.
Acrylic nails can indeed be painted with any brand of nail polish, making it a versatile and convenient option for those who want to express their creativity and experiment with different colors and designs. It is generally safe and does not cause any damage to the acrylics themselves. However, it is important to keep in mind that the quality and longevity of your nail polish may vary depending on the brand and formulation. Another advantages of painting over acrylic nails is that it can help protect the acrylics from chipping or peeling, as well as provide a smooth and polished appearance
Today, I’m going to talk about painting your nails with acrylics, how you can get different looks for your manicure and why you should try painting acrylics on your accent nail.
Why Would You Want to Paint Over Your Acrylics Nails?
Not everyone is a fan of acrylics. If you’re not thrilled with the way your nails look after getting acrylics, you may want to consider painting over them instead. Here are some reasons why:
- Cost: Acrylics can be expensive, and not everyone wants to spend a lot of money on their nails. Painting over them can be a more cost-effective option. You can definitely just DIY( I recommend Morovan Nail Polish Set to get started)
- Maintenance: Acrylics require regular upkeep and maintenance, including filling and shaping. Painting over them is a simpler and less time-consuming option.
- Preference: Some people simply prefer the look of natural nails with polish rather than the look of acrylics.
- Damage: Acrylics can damage your natural nails, and some people may want to avoid this by simply painting over their natural nails.
- Flexibility: With painted nails, you have the flexibility to change the color and design as often as you like. With acrylics, you’re stuck with the same look until you remove them.
These are just a few reasons why someone might prefer to paint over acrylics instead of getting them. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and what works best for your lifestyle and budget.
Recommended Product: Saviland Acrylic Nail Kit for Beginner
How To Paint Over Nail Acrylic?
Nail acrylic is a great way to get long, strong nails. But it can be tricky to paint over acrylic nails, as the polish tends to peel off. Here’s how to get your nails painted every week:
Properly prepping your nails is important before painting over nail acrylics because it ensures that the nail polish will adhere well to the surface and help extend the longevity. Without proper prep, the nail polish may not adhere well, leading to chipping or peeling, and it may not look as smooth or even as it could.
You can start by removing any old nail polish and cleaning the surface of your nails to ensure that there is no residue or debris that could interfere with the adhesion of the new polish. also, buffing your nails with a fine-grit buffer can help smooth out any ridges or rough spots on the surface of your acrylics, creating a more even and polished canvas for the new polish.
By properly prepping your nails before painting over nail acrylics, you can help ensure a smooth, even, and long-lasting manicure that looks its best for as long as possible.
2. Apply Base Coat
Applying a base coat to your nails before painting over nail acrylics is an important step in the process of achieving a long-lasting and beautiful manicure. The base coat is a clear or tinted polish that is applied before the color nail polish. It helps to protect your natural nails from damage caused by the pigment and chemicals in the nail polish, such as staining, discoloration, and weakening of the nails.
A good quality base coat will act as a barrier between your nails and the nail polish, preventing the pigments from penetrating the nail and staining or discolouring it. This is especially important if you have porous or damaged nails that are more susceptible to discoloration or staining.
To use a base coat, simply apply a thin, even layer to each nail and allow it to dry completely before moving on to the next step. Once the base coat is dry, you can apply your chosen color nail polish .
3. Apply the Nail Polish
Apply your chosen nail polish in thin, even layers, using a steady hand and a light touch. Avoid applying too much polish, as this can lead to smudging or bubbling. Allow each coat of polish to dry completely before applying the next layer.
4. Apply Top Coat
Once you’re ready for topcoat, apply one thin coat of topcoat over each nail. Let it dry for a few minutes and then you’re finished! It’s important to use a high-quality topcoat to protect your polish from chipping or fading.
Painting Over Acrylic Gel Nails?
You can paint over acrylic gel nails. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to paint over gel nails:
- Prepare your nails: Start by removing any old nail polish, then file and shape your nails to your desired length and shape. Lightly buff the surface of your gel nails to remove the shiny topcoat and roughen the surface of the gel, which helps the new nail polish adhere better.
- Clean your nails: Use a cotton ball or pad soaked in alcohol or nail polish remover to clean the surface of your nails thoroughly. This will remove any remaining oil or debris that could interfere with the nail polish application.
- Apply a base coat: Apply a thin layer of base coat to each nail, starting from the center and working your way out to the edges. This will help protect your natural nails and prevent staining.
- Apply your nail polish: Apply a thin coat of nail polish, starting at the center of the nail and working out to the edges. Make sure the first layer is dry before adding a second coat. Apply a second coat of nail polish if needed.
- Apply a topcoat: Once your nail polish has dried completely, apply a thin layer of topcoat to seal and protect your manicure.
- Let your nails dry: Allow your nails to dry completely before touching anything, which should take about 15-20 minutes. Avoid applying any pressure on your nails, as this can cause smudging or denting.
- Clean up any mistakes: Use a small brush dipped in nail polish remover to clean up any mistakes or smudges around your nails. This will give your manicure a clean and polished look.
- Moisturize your nails: Finish off your manicure by applying a cuticle oil or hand cream to moisturize your nails and cuticles.
That’s it! With these steps, you’ll be able to paint over your gel nails and give yourself a beautiful, long-lasting manicure.
How Long Does Regular Polish Last on Acrylic Nails?
Acrylics usually last up to three weeks. The average is two weeks, but it can vary depending on how often you get manicures and other factors. If you want to keep your nails looking good for longer, here are some tips:
- Use a base coat and top coat with every manicure: These products help protect the nails from chipping or peeling and also make them last longer. Base coats should be applied before polish, while top coats should be applied over the entire nail after polish has dried.
- Keep your hands out of water as much as possible: Water can cause acrylics to peel off faster, so it’s best not to wash dishes or do any other chores that require water until after your manicure appointment is over. If there’s no way around it (like if you have to wash your hands), use rubber gloves instead of washing with soap directly under running water.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals on your hands when possible — especially acetone! : Acetone removes nail polish quickly but also weakens the bond between artificial nails and natural nails more quickly than other chemicals do, which means that they’re more likely to chip off sooner than expected.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I paint over acrylic nails?
You can paint over acrylic nails. It will look great if you do it right, but a lot of people don’t know how to do it properly. The easiest way to paint over acrylics is to use an acrylic nail polish remover and then put on a coat of regular nail polish.
How do I know when my manicure needs to be redone?
Your manicure will need to be redone when it starts chipping or starts looking dull. You’ll want to wait until at least one layer of polish has completely dried before making any judgments about how well your manicure is holding up.
What kind of nail polish should I use?
We recommend using China Glaze nail polish because it’s lacquer-based and has a smooth application. It also dries quickly, so you won’t have to wait too long before moving on to the next step of your manicure.
How do I take off my old nail polish from my acrylics?
You can either use acetone or acetone free nail polish remover on your natural nails to get rid of any excess polish on your real nail beds.
You can paint over acrylic nails. It’s a great way to change up your manicure without having to remove and redo your nails. Finally, choose a color that matches the color of your acrylic nails so that your manicure looks natural and seamless!
What are the best ways to repaint acrylic nails?
Can You Paint Over Gel Nails Without Ruining Them?