At first, acrylic nails seem very appealing. With acrylic nails being one of the most popular options for professional manicures, literally every girl wants them. What makes acrylic nails even better is that they can be customized according to your preference in the color and shape . But, can you cut acrylic nails easily?
The first step is to trim off any excess acrylic from around the nail bed. You don’t want any of the polish hanging over the edge of your nail bed when you go to trim it later on. You can also use clippers or scissors to cut off any excess length from the tip of your acrylic nail. If there’s any extra polish attached at this point, use an acetone-soaked cotton ball to wipe it away before continuing on with the trimming process.
Have you ever wondered if acrylic nails can be cut with a regular pair of scissors? Or do they need special nail clippers? Well, this blog will;
- Guide you on how to properly cut acrylic nails without messing them up
- Give you tips to avoid nail damage while doing nails at home
But first, let’s glance over what acrylic nails are made of.
Related Reading: How Long Do You Soak Acrylic Nails in Acetone?
What Are Acrylic Nails?
Acrylic nails are made from a combination of monomers and polymers, which are mixed together to form an opaque liquid that hardens once it’s applied to your natural nail.
They can be applied in many different ways, but most commonly they’re applied with a brush by hand or with a machine called an air file.
By the way, acrylic nails are also popular for their durability and resistance to chipping and cracking. They’re relatively inexpensive and can last up to three weeks before they need to be removed and replaced with new ones. Can You Cut Acrylic Nails? You ask? Yes, you can. Here’s how;
Related Reading: How Do Salons Remove Acrylic Nails?
How to Properly Cut Your Acrylic Nails?
If you decide that it’s time to cut your acrylic nails, then you should follow these steps:
Step 1: Trim Your Nails Back
Start by trimming the tips of your nails off so they are even with the tips of your fingers. Then file away any excess acrylic that is left around the edges until it’s smooth again.
Step 2: File Down Extra Acrylic Nails
Once your nails are trimmed down, use an emery board or nail file to file down any extra acrylic around the edges until it’s flat against the skin once again.
Filing a nail with ridges can cause the acrylic to lift from the natural nail. Use an emery board or piece of sandpaper to smooth out any ridges so that when you apply the acrylic it will adhere properly. If there is still some left over from where it was previously filed down, use a small pair of scissors to trim this off too.
Step 3: Shape Your Nails Into A Square Or Oval Shape
Once you’ve filed everything down flat against the skin again, you can shape them into whatever shape you want!
You don’t want to use the same shape for all of your nails. It’s important to keep them all different so that they look more natural and don’t stick out as fake.
The three most common shapes for acrylic nails are square, oval and squoval (square with rounded corners).
You can also get creative with different shaped tips, such as stiletto, square or round. The key is to find a shape that suits your nail bed and your overall hand shape.
If you have small hands or short fingers, a longer tip might look better than a square one. If you have large hands or long fingers, then a shorter tip could be more flattering.
Step 4: Rinse your hands with water and apply moisturizing oil.
Related Reading: Why Do My Acrylic Nails Keep Popping Off?
How Do You Cut Acrylic Nails Without Messing Them Up?
If you’re thinking about getting acrylics but don’t know how to cut them properly, here are some tips:
- Make sure that your natural nails have grown out enough so that there’s room between them and the tip of your acrylics. If there isn’t enough room, it won’t be possible to cut them without damaging your natural nails!
- Use sharp scissors or clippers when cutting acrylics because dull ones could tear your natural nails instead of cutting through them cleanly.
- Don’t bend over or put too much pressure on your hands while cutting the acrylics because this could cause strain on your muscles and cause pain later in the day.
Finally, if you’re having trouble cutting your acrylics, consider going to a professional nail salon and asking them to do it for you!
Related Post: Do Acrylic Nails Ruin Your Natural Nails?
Cutting Acrylic Nails off With Nail Clippers?
So you have acrylic nails and they need a fresh cut! The best way to cut them is to use a nail clipper. A pair of nail clippers will allow you to trim off the excess acrylic on your nails, making them look neat and tidy. Here’s how;
Step 1: Prepare the Nail
Before starting with the process, wash your hands thoroughly and dry them completely. Also make sure that there are no oils on your hands because that can make things worse.
Step 2: File the Nail
Now take a very fine grade nail file and gently file off some layers from the acrylic nails so that you can see some bare skin under them. You might want to make sure that you do not roughly file your nails. This may cause some discomfort.
Step 3: Use Clippers
Now take your clippers and carefully cut off each artificial nail from its base with just one cut. You should do this very slowly as it’s important not to damage your real nails in any way possible during this process (or any other).
How Do You Cut Acrylic Nails Without Nail Clippers?
Here are some tips on how to cut acrylic nails without nail clippers:
1.Use a Cuticle Pusher
Cuticle pushers are useful for pushing back the cuticles of your nails before you paint them with polish or remove them completely. You can also use them to remove excess polish from around your nail bed when you’re done applying it or taking off your manicure. You can buy a set of pushers for just $5 on Amazon.
2.Get a Nail Scissors Set with a Blunt Tip
You’ll need these for cutting off excess acrylic from around your nail bed after removing the rest of it with a file or cuticle pusher. The best ones have blunt tips so they don’t damage your natural nails as much as sharp-tipped scissors would . I recommend Solingen Scissors
Note: There are also other tools that work well for pushing back cuticles, like French manicure sticks or cotton swabs dipped in acetone nail polish remover (if you’ve applied polish beforehand).
How to Care for Acrylic Nails?
You can make acrylic nails last up to two weeks, without the need for constant maintenance. To keep them looking their best, follow these tips:
- Protect your nails from water and other liquids. Wipe off excess water after you wash your hands with a dry towel. or take a shower.
- Use acetone polish remover pads to remove nail polish. Do not use cotton balls or alcohol-based removers that contain petroleum distillates, which can damage your nails.
- When applying nail polish, use clear top coat only once per week. Acrylic nails are more porous than natural nails and tend to soak up more of the color, so you will see color fading faster on your acrylic nails than on natural nails. You also paint your acrylic nails for extra enhancement.
Can I Shorten My Acrylic Nails at Home?
You can cut your acrylic nails at home, but it’s not a good idea. The reason why you should avoid doing it yourself is because of the risk of infection and damage to your natural nails.
Your hands are exposed to a lot of bacteria during the day, especially if you use public transportation or touch other people. Any cuts or breaks in your nails could allow bacteria into your skin and cause an infection.
In addition, cutting acrylic nails yourself can lead to injuries such as cuts and broken tips, which is likely painful and will take longer to heal than if you had just gone to a professional nail salon.
Related Article: Do Acrylic Nails Hurt?
How Do You Cut Acrylic Cleanly?
Cutting acrylic nails is very simple if done correctly:
- First, remove excess polish from the nails with acetone or alcohol on cotton swabs and let dry completely. This will help prevent the glue from sticking to the nail surface when you cut it.
- Then, cut the acrylic nail into desired shape with a pair of scissors or clippers. Make sure not to go too short because this will cause bleeding and discomfort during removal process later on.
You can also leave some length on top of your natural nail so that there is enough space for glue.
Related Post: Do Acrylic Nails Ruin Your Natural Nails?
Should I Cut My Acrylics Before Taking Them Off?
If you’ve never had acrylic nails before, you may be wondering if you need to cut them before removing them. The answer is no! These days, many salons offer a soak-off service that allows clients to have their acrylic nails removed without any damage to their natural nail beds.
If you’re looking for an alternative way to remove your acrylics at home without damaging your natural nails, try using a nail buffer or file instead of clippers or scissors. You can find these at most local drugstores or beauty supply stores.
What Should You Not Do With Acrylic Nails?
Acrylic nails are a great way to get a beautiful manicure without having to damage your natural nails. However, acrylic nails take some time to grow out, so it’s important to take care of them properly. Here are some things you shouldn’t do with acrylic nails:
- Don’t scratch the surface of your nails. Although they look durable, they’re actually quite delicate and can be easily damaged by scratching or picking at the surface of your nail.
- Don’t soak them in water for more than 20 minutes at a time. Acrylic is made from acrylic resin and liquid monomer, which means that it’s not completely waterproof. If you soak your fingers in water for too long, you risk damaging the polish on your nails and allowing bacteria to enter into the layers underneath.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals such as bleach or acetone on your nails — not only will this make them weaker but it also will damage any nail treatments you have underneath!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Cut Acrylic Nails Without Messing Them Up?
You can cut acrylic nails with a pair of nail clippers. It’s a quick and easy way to remove them, but not all acrylics are created equal. If they’re thick, they’ll be more difficult to cut through.
Can You Cut Acrylic Nails off With Nail Clippers?
It’s possible to cut through thick acrylic nails with nail clippers but it won’t be easy! The best way is to use a pair of sharp scissors instead. This will give you greater control over the process and make sure that the edges are smooth after cutting through the material.
All in all, there aren’t many advantages to cutting acrylic nails. They are far easier to manicure by yourself, take less time then natural nails, and are much more affordable.
If you think you may want to try them out, the best way to do so would be to book an appointment with your local beauty parlour.
Acrylic nails are largely a matter of personal preference and practicality, so take your time researching the topic before making any decisions.